New Employee FAQs

What do I need to bring to my scheduled onboarding? 

Please come prepared for your onboarding with the necessary identification documents, and bank routing and account numbers.  

If I don't have all my identification with me, can I still come to my scheduled onboarding appointment? 

No, if you do not have the appropriate identification for your appointment, you will be unable to complete your onboarding. Please contact us to reschedule your appointment. 

I have a passport, but it has expired. Can I still use it? 

No, all identification documents must be unexpired. (Alternative Acceptable Forms of Identification)

Will a copy of my identification documents work? 

No, all identification documents must be original; copied materials cannot be accepted. 

Where are the onboarding sessions located? 

The onboarding sessions are held at the New Employee Center, located in Suite 116 of the 331 Building in Innovation Park.

Where should I park when completing my onboarding paperwork at the 331 Building? 

There is visitor parking adjacent to the 331 Building.  

Is there a bus route to Innovation Park? 

Yes, the Centre Area Transportation Authority (CATA) provides FREE bus service between Innovation Park and the University Park campus. Known as the "RED LINK," CATA's service runs continuously every day, every 15 to 20 minutes during its full service schedule and has a stop at the 331 Building. For more information on schedules, visit CATA Real-Time Bus Schedule.

When does my health insurance become effective? 

Benefits begin on your first day of full time employment. Employees have 30 days to elect their benefits. 

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for my first week. During my onboarding will I be given the information I need for health insurance?  

Although your benefits technically begin your first day of employment, you will not receive your member ID card in the mail until several weeks after signing up for benefits. Until that time you would need to pay for the appointment, save the receipt, and then can submit for reimbursement once you receive your member information.  

If I don’t need some of the benefits right now, can I select it at a later date? 

The University has an open enrollment period every November to make changes to your coverage. The changes you make will take effect on January 1 of the next year. If there is a qualifying event such as a marriage, birth, or divorce, you can make a change to your coverage within 30 days of the event. 

When will I receive my PSU ID Card? 

You will receive your PSU id+ Card during your scheduled onboarding session. 

Where do I report my first day? 

Your new supervisor will contact you regarding items such as where to report, dress code, and other necessary logistics. 

How do I obtain a parking permit? 

Full-time employees will receive a temporary parking permit during your onboarding session and then a permanent permit can be obtained from the Parking Chair assigned to your department. Your supervisor will be able to direct you to the appropriate unit contact. All others should contact the Parking Office for permit options. 

How much does it cost to park on campus? 

Parking rates for University Park can be found on the Transportation Services website.  

How do I obtain my University e-mail account?   

Your email account will be set up during your onboarding steps. 

I’ve been told I need to obtain clearances. What does this mean? 

The three publicly-available clearances are required for employees who have direct contact with children through a program, activity or service sponsored by Penn State. This includes individuals who are: responsible for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children OR routine interaction with children. Also required for volunteers who are responsible for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children AND routine interaction with children. Additional information and instructions for completing clearances can be found on the University Ethics website.

I don’t have a local bank account set up. What should I do about direct deposit? 

You will need to provide your bank account and routing numbers during your onboarding. If you obtain a new bank account later, this information can be changed at any time.  

I don't know my taxing authority. How do I determine what that should be? 

Your taxing authority can be determined by entering your address in any of the below sites. 

How long does it take for the three publicly-available clearances to be processed? 

After you have submitted your clearance requests, processing can take 2-3 weeks for you to receive the results of all three clearances. If you are submitting paper fingerprint cards for the FBI clearance, this may take longer.

Will I get reimbursement for the costs of the three clearances? 

Penn State will provide reimbursement for the cost of the clearances obtained for employment purposes once all three clearances have been completed and verified with the appropriate receipts for each clearance.