Step 3: End of Year Discussion
The end-of-year discussion allows for a conversation to discuss the year’s performance and give feedback.
Training Resources and Materials
Click on one of the links below to register for an Adobe Connect session to learn how to complete Step Three-- including tips for how to finish the 2017-18 performance management cycle in Workday (choose the session that relates to your role within the process):
- Performance Management - How to Prepare for Your End-of-Year Review (Individuals) – How to Prepare for Your End-of-Year Review
- Performance Management - Tips for Making the End-of-Year Review as Effective as Possible (Managers) – Tips for Making the End-of-Year Review as Effective as Possible (Managers)
The employee has the following responsibilities at the end of the year:
- Before the discussion: Complete a self-assessment of their performance for the cycle and schedule a conversation with their manager; seek feedback on performance from other colleagues who are familiar with their work (optional).
- During the discussion: Share information regarding accomplishments and areas of improvement; work with manager to reach agreement on the performance review; begin planning for next year’s goals and developmental opportunities.
- After the discussion: Confirm that the end-of-year discussion occurred and that the rating was received.
The manager has the following responsibilities at the end of the year:
- Before the discussion: Ask the employee to complete and submit self-assessment; seek feedback on the employee’s performance from other colleagues who are familiar with their work (optional); complete a draft of the performance review and participate in calibration conversations* with peer supervisors (IMPORTANT: The review conversation should not occur until AFTER the calibration conversations take place and ratings are confirmed).
- During the discussion: Discuss highlights/accomplishments and areas of improvement re: the employee’s performance throughout the year, giving specific examples of how they performed in their role, demonstrated competencies and achieved their goals.
- After the discussion: Review, finalize and share the end-of-year review with the employee; confirm that the end-of-year discussion occurred and that the rating was delivered.
Information gathered for the end-of-year discussion includes an employee self-assessment, feedback from peers/customers/direct reports/others (highly encouraged) and feedback from the direct manager.
The rating scale is simple to communicate and allows for honest communication of employee effectiveness while maintaining flexibility to differentiate performance.
|Exceptional||Demonstrates and applies exceptional level of knowledge and skills; consistently excels; significant achievement relative to goals|
|Successful||Demonstrates the appropriate level of knowledge and/or skills; performs effectively and consistently; achieves goal targets|
|Needs Improvement||Demonstrates a lack of knowledge and/or skills in one or more areas; does not perform consistently; does not achieve goals|