Barn Worker - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Facilities, Grounds, and Utilities
JOB CODE: 8507-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
Maintain barns, outbuildings, fencing, pastures, and surrounding farm areas in a clean, mowed, irrigated, repaired, and otherwise presentable condition. Assist farm staff with livestock and poultry care. Operate and perform basic maintenance on farm vehicles and equipment.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Maintain barns, outbuildings, fencing, pastures, and surrounding farm area in a clean, repaired, and presentable condition; operate hand and power tools such as weed eaters, chainsaws, drills, circular saws, etc.
- Power wash barns, trim fence rows, pick up trash, remove fallen trees; scrape manure from barns and feeding areas; sweep mangers, walks and alleyways; remove snow and ice; spread anti-skid material
- Mow, seed, and irrigate pastures; mix and apply fertilizers and pesticide; collect soil samples.
- Assist Barn Worker-Milker in preparing and milking cows; report unusual conditions, such as abnormal milk or malfunctioning equipment
- Assist farm staff with livestock and poultry care, such as feed, water, groom, and restrain animals; recover, weigh and record feed refusals; package eggs, etc. Replace old or soiled animal bedding with clean material. Clean water bowls. Chop hay and straw. Under supervisor direction, administer treatments and vaccinations
- Load, transport, unload, weigh, and store farm materials
- Erect or remove various types of fences, posts, and signs
- Prepare surfaces for painting; perform fence, gate, equipment and facility maintenance painting
- Operate and perform minor maintenance/repairs to vehicles and equipment such as trucks, tractors, dump trucks, skid loaders, forklifts, spreaders, mowers, and feed carts. Report needed repairs to supervisor
REQUIREMENTS: May require a Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A, with Tanker Endorsement (N), Air Brake Restriction (L) Lifted; successful completion of a motor vehicle records check; and, a Pennsylvania Pesticide Applicator's License.