Cook - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Hospitality and Food Services
JOB CODE: 8512-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
Prepare, season, and cook dishes such as soups, meats, vegetables, or desserts in University restaurants and dining facilities. May assist planning menus.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Confer with Supervisor concerning menus, recipes, quantities, supplies, leftover use, cleaning assignments in the working area, and additional help required to prepare meals
- Prepare, combine, season, cook, and serve food according to standardized recipes, methods and procedures; bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, and vegetables, etc.
- Prepare food in proper sequence to be served at predetermined times; check food prior to serving for flavor, appearance, etc.; place food on plates or serving platters, and garnish; report any deviations from accepted standards to Supervisor
- Ensure serving line items are maintained at proper temperature and freshness and that adequate amounts are available for guests
- Make advanced preparations for food items as required. Prepare salads, dressings, desserts, soups, sauces, sandwiches, cold entrees, etc. Cut meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, etc. Verify items against production sheet to ensure accuracy
- Operate and clean utensils and equipment such as grinders, grills, slicers, mixers, food choppers, ovens, hoods, filters, fryers, sinks, steam jacketed kettles, steamers, etc.; check equipment to ensure proper working condition and cleanliness; report malfunctions to supervisor
- Receive, inspect, and rotate incoming products and supplies; date all perishable items upon delivery; conduct periodic inventories; notify Supervisor of discrepancies
- Ensure that sanitary techniques are used in preparation, handling, and storage of food items.
- May train and instruct other food preparer and production workers