Machinist - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Research Support
JOB CODE: 8533-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Perform a variety of machining operations to extremely close tolerances using lathes, milling machines, grinders, drill presses, highly specialized tools, and other shop equipment with minimum supervision. Work from drawings, prints, rough sketches, and verbal instructions; fabricate and construct a variety of shapes composed of steel, brass, aluminum, stainless steel, and exotic metals/materials
- Set-up, adjust, and operate Computerized Numerically Controlled (CNC) equipment and use software to generate tool paths for parts fabrication in multiple axes. Facilitate changes to existing programs using Manual Data Input (MDI)
- Plan, layout, and perform machine tool and bench operations using unusual and difficult set-ups and machining methods
- Perform highly skilled fitting and assembly operations to extremely close tolerances
- Inspect own work; detect errors in drawings, operations, and defects in parts or materials and report to shop supervisor
- Plan and perform metal and plastic fabrications work such as beveling, cutting, rolling, seaming, soldering, and brazing. Perform ceramic grinding on many types of experimental ceramics
- Join dissimilar metals, weld in all positions, including inside cylinders and tanks
- Perform finishing operations such as grinding, buffing, polishing, hardening, coating, etc.
REQUIREMENTS: Machinist trades training