Animal Attendant - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Research Support
JOB CODE: 8503-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
Receive, feed, water, groom, exercise, or otherwise care for farm and nonfarm animals; report and record unusual conditions affecting animal well-being; may perform routine medication and nursing procedures under supervisor direction. Clean, disinfect, and sanitize cages, rooms, and equipment.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Provide farm and nonfarm animal care, feeding, watering, grooming, and exercise under established schedules; may mix feed according to formulation; may operate food grinder and other feed equipment; dust, spray, or bathe animals to control pests
- Monitor, detect, report, and record unusual animal behavior, vermin infestation, temperature changes, and other conditions affecting animal wellbeing; carry out quarantine and isolation procedures
- May perform routine medication and nursing procedures under supervisor direction; assist in restraining animals
- May collect urine, fecal material, etc., and record experimental data on a limited scale
- Euthanize small animals; operate incinerator for the destruction of small animals and bedding
- Receive animal deliveries; check received animals against order regarding sex, weight, general health; identify by tattooing; maintain daily census
- Load, unload, and store food, cages, bedding materials, lab equipment and supplies; maintain feed and bedding records
- Maintain buildings, pens, cages, shelters, and related equipment in a clean and sanitary condition; perform minor repairs and preventive maintenance
- Clean, disinfect, and sanitize cages, bedding, surgical and laboratory equipment, animal rooms and related service areas; operate rack, bottle, and cage washers, pressure washers, autoclave, powered floor equipment, washing machines, and dryers
- Coordinate with Safety Office for proper disposal of laboratory waste or any materials regulated by state and federal law.
- May operate university vehicle; pickup and deliver animals, cages, racks, bedding, feed, etc.