Nominate staff members for a "We Are!" shoutout in Penn State Today. Find the form and more information about nominations and eligibility here.
Staff from all over the Commonwealth can request Positive Paws, branded sticky notes used to encouraged fellow staff members with a short note of thanks, appreciation, or encouragement.
STAFF RECOGNITION AWARDS
The USAC Staff Awards recognize University staff members who go above and beyond their normally assigned job responsibilities, perhaps by resolving a particularly difficult dilemma, being exceptionally creative, or being responsive to the needs of others regardless of status.
Information about the Staff Recognition Awards
The University Staff Advisory Council has closed nominations for the 2021-2022 Staff Awards in the areas of morale, leadership, and excellence. These nominations, as outlined below, are evaluated on the candidate’s ability to encompass and embody the Penn State Values set forth by the President’s Office. The deadline to submit nominations was March 1, 2022.
- All full-time staff are eligible.
- Anyone at the University (staff, faculty and students) may submit a nomination, regardless of level.
- Every nomination is considered on its own merit and will be given equal consideration regardless of type or level of staff position held within the university.
AWARDS PURPOSE AND CRITERIA
Nominators are asked to complete and submit a nomination form and may include up to three (3) letters of support and recommendation. Candidates may be nominated for more than one award; however, they can only receive one award.
Honorees were recognized at an Award Ceremony hosted by President Bendapudi on June 10, 2022 in Alumni Lounge of Old Main, University Park.
STAFF EXCELLENCE AWARD (Award nominations are currently closed for 2022)
The purpose of this award is to recognize a Penn State University staff person who demonstrates integrity, respect, and excellence in all aspects of their position.
- Integrity - Behaves in an honest and ethical manner; demonstrates accountability; identifies problems; gathers facts in order to make ethical decisions.
- Respect - Embraces an understanding of social norms; embraces all perspectives; shows regard for other’s traditions, abilities and qualities.
- Responsibility - Demonstrates professionalism; seeks out opportunities for professional development to better understand their role within the organization; works independently.
- Discovery - Accepting and encouraging creativity and failure when it happens; fosters creativity in problem solving.
- Excellence - High performing; sees excellence everywhere; takes initiative to make processes/procedures better.
- Community - Makes outstanding contributions the university community both internally and across other units.
STAFF MORALE AWARD
The purpose of this award is to recognize a Penn State University staff person who demonstrates enthusiasm and optimism in order to create a positive, inclusive, and supportive work environment for all.
- Integrity - Leads with enthusiasm; fosters respectful & cooperative work climate; demonstrates accountability; makes ethical decisions.
- Respect - Recognizes potential within others; values other’s opinions; practices active listening.
- Responsibility - Considered trustworthy by peers; acts in an honest, optimistic and ethical manner.
- Discovery - Encourages people to speak up; encourage creativity.
- Excellence - Provides excellent customer service; provide support and guidance to those around them to help make work life better.
- Community - Works to create a culture that is safe and inclusive; gets people to coalesce around institutional goals.
STAFF LEADERSHIP AWARD
The purpose of this award is to recognize a Penn State University staff person who demonstrates excellence in leadership and serves as a positive role model for others.
- Respect - Focuses on the team; listens and learns from others around them; inspires performance; supports others around them.
- Responsibility - Recognizes natural gifts in team members and works to develop them; works with others to own mistakes and problem solve; demonstrates professionalism.
- Discovery - Encourages growth among others; creates an environment where failure is part of learning; exhibits resourcefulness.
- Excellence - Seeks ways to improve methods; practices for the betterment of the unit/college/university; goes above and beyond the job duties to contribute.
- Community - Establishes relationships both internally and across university units; serves as a mentor; serves on college/dept and/or University committee memberships or service.
2019 award recipients were honored at a ceremony and luncheon hosted
by President Eric Barron who initiated a fund to provide a monetary award
for USAC honorees.
2022 Award Honorees
Staff Excellence Award: Sherri Gilliland - Graduate Program Staff Assistant, Department of Psychology
Staff Morale Award: Maria Pilar M. Kim - Industry and Career Services Coordinator, School of Hospitality Management
Staff Leadership Award: Jane Pflaum - Administrative Support Coordinator, Chancellor's Office, Penn State York
2021 Award Honorees
Staff Excellence Award: Sonia Delaquito - Learning Center Coordinator, Penn State Berks
Staff Morale Award: Brosi Bradley - Labs & Field Technician, Department of Ecosystem Science & Management, College of Agricultural Sciences
Staff Leadership Award: Katina Posney - Administrative Support Coordinator, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, College of Earth & Mineral Sciences
2020 Award Honorees
Staff Excellence Award: Deborah Tomazin - Humanities, College of Medicine, The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Staff Morale Award: Joan Miller - Division of Undergraduate Studies, Undergraduate Education, University Park
Staff Leadership Award: Kristy Hove - Institutional Planning, Lehigh Valley
2019 Award Honorees
Staff Excellence Award: Hilleary Himes, Director of Advising, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
Staff Morale Award: Thomas Kell, Laboratory Supervisor, Penn State Harrisburg
Staff Leadership Award: Jeremy Fisher, Administrative Support Coordinator, College of Arts and Architecture, School of Visual Arts
2018 Award Honorees
Staff Excellence Award: Corinna H. Fisher, Constituent Programming and Event Officer, College Relations Office, College of Agricultural Sciences
Staff Morale Award: Kristy Bryan, Adviser, World Campus Academic Advising and Student Disability Services
Staff Leadership Award: Jamie Perryman, Administrative Support Coordinator, Stuckeman School
2017 Award Honorees
Maria Rosalba (Alba) Congiu
Senior Financial Analyst, The Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences
Director, The Huck Institutes of Life Sciences & Director, Filippelli Institute for e-Education and Outreach
Research Project Manager/Team Lead for the Technical Assistance team, Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness at Penn State
2016 Award Recipients
From left to right are Penn State President Eric Barron, Mary Runco, Ann Lalik, Stephanie Chastain, Deborah Sam, and Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer Susan Basso. Absent from the photo were award winners Allison Shauger and Karen Brewster.