Penn State offers two health care options to its employee population:
Regular full-time faculty and staff members are eligible to enroll in Penn State’s Health Care Plan. For information about spouse and dependent children eligibility, please see Dependent Eligibility.
Postdoctoral Scholars: As per postdoctoral scholar eligibility, the per-pay contribution rates follow the same salary-based schedule as for faculty and staff. For additional information regarding the benefits available to postdoctoral scholars, please contact or visit the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Payroll contributions will be determined based on the employee's annual base salary as of October 31, 2017. For the 2018 plan year, the new payroll contribution amount is effective January 1, 2018 and will remain the same for the entire year.
For 2018, if both spouses are employed by Penn State, medical coverage must be carried by the higher-paid employee. For Technical Service employees, this only applies if both employee and spouse are Teamsters members.
Visit health care premium comparison for sample rates.
Dually-Employed at Penn State
In the past, the University allowed employees to both be covered under the same health care plan of the employee with the lower salary. For 2018, this will change when dual-employed Penn State employees would like to be cover under one medical plan (dental and vision plans are not affected). The following changes will take effect on January 1, 2018.
Faculty/Staff: If you and your spouse are both employed at Penn State and are currently covered under one employee’s medical plan, your coverage election for 2018 must be made by the higher-paid spouse.
Technical Service Employees: This applies if BOTH the employee and spouse are Technical Service employees; does not apply if spouse is faculty or staff. It is important to note that while you may remain covered under one medical care plan of the higher-paid employee, you do have the option to move to separate plan if you wish. For reference, here are the possible combinations for employees choosing to be covered under one medical plan based on the above changes:
- Faculty/Staff + Faculty/Staff = Must be covered under the employee with the higher salary
- Technical Service Employee + Technical Service Employee = Must be covered under the employee with the higher salary
- Technical Service Employee + Faculty/Staff = Employees can choose which one will carry the policy
Healthcare Spending Accounts
Penn Staters have the following options for putting aside pre-tax dollars to help pay for medical expenses:
Health Savings Accounts - For PPO Savings Plan members
Flexible Spending Accounts - For Plan members and for Penn State employees who are not in a Penn State health plan
- PPO Faculty & Staff Medical Coverage Booklet (coming soon)
- PPO Teamsters Medical Coverage Booklet (coming soon)
- PPO Savings Faculty & Staff Medical Coverage Booklet (coming soon)
- PPO Savings Teamsters Medical Coverage Booklet (coming soon)
- Penn State Hershey Medical Group Centre County
- Summary Plan Document (coming soon)
- Travel Insurance Information