Cascading goals are used to help employees align with the University and department/unit strategic plans. It allows you to provide a goal to all or some of a employees in a supervisory organization.
The Cascade Goal business process is for all full-time staff and non-academic administrators and can be initiate by one or more of the following: :
- HR Strategic Partner
- HR Consultant
A Manager (or HRSP, HRC) cascades the goals in Workday.
1. In the Search bar, enter add goal.
2. Select Add Goal to Employees.
3. Click the radio button for Create New Goal.
4. In the Organizations field, click the list icon and then My Organizations OR select specific employees in the Employees field.
The My Organizations option will allow the goal to cascade to all employees within the organization. Review the list of employees in the organization to ensure only full-time staff are selected. Part-time employees (including those with supplemental pay) and academic staff do not participate in this performance review process. If part-time employees or academic staff are in the organization you selected, you may want to select specific employees in the Employees field. Note: If you are an HR professional, type the manager’s name into the field. It may be beneficial to choose the manager in the highest supervisory organization to reduce the number of organizations you have to cascade to.
5. If you would like to cascade the goal to a manager’s organization within the supervisory organization that you selected above, click the Include Subordinate Organizations checkbox.
6. Click OK.
7. In the Goal field, enter the goal.
Take note of what you enter in this field. You can provide this phrasing to employees, so they can add it to their performance review later in the process.
8. In the Description field, enter the metrics for success.
9. In the Category field, click the list icon and select Annual Performance Goal (Staff).
10. In the Due Date field, enter the date the goal should be completed.
11. Review and check/uncheck the box for Editable. Note: editable means everything about the goal can be edited, while not editable means that nothing can be edited.
12. Click Add if there are additional goals you would like to cascade.
13. When you are finished adding goals, click Submit.
14. Click Done.
Note: If you are an HR professional, the remaining steps are kicked off to the manager and employee.
15. In the top right-hand corner of your Workday homepage, click on the inbox icon.
16. On the left-hand side, click on the Manage Goals: Employee task in your inbox.
17. Review the goal. At the bottom, click the Approve button and then Done.
18. Repeat the same process for all employees who have the cascaded goal.
Employees will then need to log in to Workday to add the goal to their performance review goal setting template.
Employee Addition of Cascading Goals
Employees must add the cascaded goal to their performance review goal setting template. This can be done at the same time the employee is entering the rest of their goals in Workday.
1. In the top right-hand corner of your Workday homepage, click on the inbox icon.
2. On the left-hand side, click on Set Content: 20XX-20XX Step 1: Setting Goals and Expectations: Your Name.
3. Click on the Go to Guided Editor button.
4. Click Add. 5. Click the Use Existing Goal checkbox.
6. In the dropdown menu that appears, click on the list icon.
7. Click on By Category and Annual Performance Goal (Staff). Click on the goal name provided by your manager from the list.
8. If editing was allowed by your manager, make any edits you would like.
9. In the Status field, click the arrow and select Not Started or In Progress from the list.
10. When you are finished entering any other goals, click the Next button and proceed with the remainder of the goal setting process in Workday.