Farm/Field Worker - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Facilities, Grounds, and Utilities
JOB CODE: 8556-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
Farm/Field Workers plant, cultivate, and harvest corps; operate and maintain farm machinery, equipment, and tools; assist with public demonstrations and experimental data collection.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Set-up, lay-out, and prepare experimental plots
- Plant, transplant, irrigate, cultivate, fertilize, mow, prune, spray, weed, water, seed, thin, tie, train, sucker and otherwise maintain greenhouse plants, vineyards, orchards, wildlife food plots, and other research farms and fields; harvest fruits, vegetables, and other crop
- Load, unload, transport, weigh and or store hay, straw, crops, commodities, and other agriculture and farming materials
- Attach farm implements such as plows, discs, sprayers, or harvesters to tractors
- Operate farm machinery in agricultural research situations using specialized operating techniques and parameters
- Operate utility vehicles, trucks, tractors, wagons, spreaders, sprayers, seeders, scales, grinders, mowers, tilers, rotary cutters, skid steer, hay rake/tedder, baler, wheel loader, harvesters, etc.
- Perform routine maintenance on facilities, equipment, machinery, vehicles, or tools to ensure operational readiness, safety, and cleanliness; clean, wax, grease, and spot paint; check/change/replenish oil, gas, water level, tire pressure, and spark plugs
- Collect soil and tissue samples; count clusters, measure berries, etc.; record data
- Assist with public field days, exhibitions, and extension events; mark lots, set up staging and demonstration areas
- Assist with constructing trellises and other small carpentry projects
- Maintain shops, storage areas, arena, compost site, farm grounds, and farming equipment in a neat, clean, and orderly condition; assist with facility, fencing, and road repair
- Control pests using various acceptable methods
REQUIREMENTS: May require a Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A, with Tanker Endorsement (N), Air Brake Restriction (L) Lifted; successful completion of a motor vehicle records check; and, a Pennsylvania Pesticide Applicator's License.