Welcome to Penn State's performance management website, where you will find everything you will need to participate. Use this site to learn about the program, to find training opportunities and resources available to help you complete each step along the way.
Penn State's performance management program has been designed to effectively manage talent and performance and ensure that each member of the community understands how they fit into the success of Penn State. To this end, each individual will:
- Have a voice in setting their responsibilities and goals
- Be held accountable for their responsibilities, individual goals, and behavior
- “Own” the program, with support from supervisors/managers, Human Resources, and Penn State leadership
The purpose of the program is to:
- Link staff member efforts to the desired strategy, goals, behaviors, and culture at PSU
- Inspire employees to give their best effort and align their efforts to their teams’ efforts
- Provide fair and accurate evaluation of performance
- Provide effective coaching for performance improvement and career development
Timeline for the 2018-19 Performance Management Cycle:
April 1, 2018 - March 31, 2019
Below is a general outline of the steps that will help you successfully complete the performance management process:
Step 1: Setting Goals & Expectations: (June 1 - August 31, 2018)
During this first step, staff members meet with their manager to discuss their Job Responsibilities Worksheet (JRW) and to set 2-5 goals for the current performance management cycle.
For additional tools and resources to complete this step, including training opportunities, please visit Step 1: Setting Goals & Expectations.
Leadership teams meet to discuss ratings and agree on norms; norms are shared with staff members throughout their department.
Step 2: Mid-Year Check In (November 1- December 31, 2018)
Staff members and their managers review their goal progress (and will make adjustments as needed), discuss successes and challenges.
For tools and resources to complete this step, please visit Step 2: Mid-Year Check In.
Step 3: End-of-Year Discussion (April 1 - May 15, 2019)
The end-of-year discussion allows for a conversation between staff members and their managers to discuss the year’s performance and give feedback.
For tools and resources to complete this step, please visit Step 3: End-of-Year Discussion.
IMPORTANT: Please review the performance management program steps and timeline for this year.
For questions, please send an email to TalentMgmt@psu.edu.