Annually, Penn State administers a performance review program for staff. This program provides a framework for employees to partner with their managers to establish personal goals that align with stated unit or team objectives for the coming year. This activity is intended to help managers and employees clarify performance expectations and provide a foundation for managing goals that emphasizes the importance of frequent and ongoing review and feedback to ensure objectives are on track.
The effectiveness of the performance review process is reliant on the level of engagement of both the manager and employee. When done well, the performance review process results in both parties having a:
- shared set of expectations for the year
- clear understanding of performance and progress toward goals throughout the year
- opportunity to strengthen their working relationship through regular discussions
- ability to directly impact the success of the organization
- commitment to focus on the personal and career development of the employee
The program consists of three distinct activities:
- Set Goals (Start of Year)
- Manage Goals
- Final Goal Review (End of Year)
To learn more about each step in the process and your role as an employee or manager, click on each step below.
Timeline for the 2020-21 Performance Review Cycle:
For questions, please send an email to [email protected].