Highmark Retiree Travel Coverage

If you’re having a serious health issue while traveling, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that urgent and emergency care are always covered, even when you’re out of the country from Highmark's worldwide coverage. If you have any questions, call Penn State University’s dedicated Member Service number at 866-918-5285 (TTY/TTD call 711), 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., seven days a week.

What’s the difference between urgent care and emergency care?

Urgent care centers have doctors on staff who can perform X-rays and provide care for a wide range of illnesses or injuries, including migraines, breathing conditions, and urinary tract infections. Emergency rooms are designed to treat urgent, acute, and life-threatening conditions like difficulty breathing, chest pain, uncontrolled bleeding, severe injury, or stroke-like symptoms.

What are my options if I need urgent or emergency care while traveling outside of the country?

You should consider an urgent care center if you need care right away, but the illness or injury isn’t considered life-threatening. In most cases, the out-of-pocket cost for visiting an urgent care center will be less than a trip to the emergency room. If you feel like you’re dealing with a health emergency, call 911 or go to the closest emergency room right away.

How will my claim be handled?

Members will need to get an itemized receipt for the care they received and submit the receipt to Highmark for reimbursement. Receipts can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1068
Pittsburgh, PA 15230-1068