Membership offers staff valuable connections, professional development, and chances to make improvements that benefit everyone.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Email us your questions, comments, and suggestions.
BECOME A MEMBER
The University Staff Advisory Council is a great way for staff at all Penn State campus locations to get involved and serve fellow staff members. Appointed USAC members have voting responsibilities and serve three-year terms, beginning August 1. Monthly Council meetings typically occur during normal University hours, last approximately two hours, and are considered University business.
Applications for the 2022-23 academic year are now closed. All applications were due by April 1st, 2022.
The application process has been updated for 2022-23.
- Applications will be reviewed and selected to participate in a Zoom interview with the membership and elections committee.
- Interview questions will be shared in advance and a USAC member will serve as an advocate. The advocate’s role is to support applicants, answer questions, and serve as a neutral party during the interview. The advocate will reach out to applicants prior to and following their interview.
- Applicants will be evaluated in the areas of leadership, inclusion/belonging, interest in USAC, time management, and confidentiality.
- Finally, review committee - recommended applicants will be reviewed by Human Resources to ensure they are an employee in good-standing.
As part of the online application, applicants will be asked to submit a letter of support from their direct supervisor. This letter should express an understanding of the responsibilities associated with this role and provide a commitment to support the staff member throughout the time served. Specifically, the letter should acknowledge the supervisor’s understanding that:
- Membership is a 3-year term
- The time commitment is a minimum of 3 hours per month
- Council activity is considered official University business
- Full-time staff employees (non-bargaining unit) are eligible to apply
- Council approves member appointments based on Committee recommendations
- The Council consists of up to 30 staff members (exempt and nonexempt)
- Appointments include a diverse representation of staff from a variety of units and locations
- Term of office (voting position) is three years
- Members are required to serve on sub-committees within the larger council
JOIN LOCAL STAFF GROUPS
There are several advisory committees, councils, and groups for staff to join. Find one near you and if a local group does not exist in your area or campus, consider establishing one! Contact your HRSP/HRC to find out what it takes to form your own.
- Abington campus Staff Advisory Council
- Altoona campus Staff Advisory Council
- Brandywine campus Staff Advisory Council
- Dubois campus Staff Caucus
- Fayette, the Eberly Campus, Staff Senate
- Harrisburg campus Staff Advisory Council
- Hazleton campus Staff Advisory Council
- Lehigh Valley campus Staff Advisory Council
- Mont Alto campus Staff Senate
- New Kensington campus Staff Senate
- Outreach and Online Education, OOE Ambassadors
- Schuylkill campus Staff Advisory Council
- Scranton campus Staff Advisory Council
- Shenango campus Staff Advisory Council
- University Park campus
- College of Agricultural Sciences Staff Advisory Committee to the Dean
- College of Arts & Architecture Staff Advisory Council
- College of Earth and Mineral Sciences Staff Advisory Committee
- Eberly College of Science Staff Advisory Committee
- College of Education [currently forming]
- College of Engineering Staff Advisory Committee
- College of Health and Human Development
- College of Liberal Arts Dean's Staff Advisory Committee
- Smeal College of Business Staff Advisory Committee
- Corporate Controller's Office Staff Advisory Council
- Libraries Dean's Staff Advisory Council
- Wilkes-Barre campus Staff Advisory Council
- York campus Staff Advisory Council