Waste Collector - Part Time
JOB FAMILY: Facilities, Grounds, and Utilities
JOB CODE: 8553-0001
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
The Waste Collector works as part of the University’s Recycling and Waste Management program. Waste Collectors operate vehicles to collect refuse and recycling across campus and town locations; separate recyclable material; maintain cleanliness of container areas; transport refuse to dump area; maintain trucks in clean and sanitary condition.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Operate various refuse and recycling collection vehicles; operate lifting mechanisms to engage and dump containers into truck and hydraulic packer mechanisms to compress rubbish
- Pick up and remove refuse and recyclable material from designated locations in accordance with pre-established schedules
- Separate and deposit recyclable material into appropriate receptacles
- Transport refuse to dump area; unload refuse; receive certification of weight load at dump area
- Maintain cleanliness of container areas; attend to broken bags; transfer material into new bag; report unusual conditions and continuing conditions of littering to supervisor
- Receive orders for special material pickups, including scrap metal, tires, asbestos, etc.; operate forklift as needed
- Maintain trucks in a clean and sanitary condition; maintain refuse and recycling dumpsters and roll-offs, including washing, touch-up painting and stenciling; assist in repairing metal containers; replace broken parts as needed; clean by steam, wire brush or power sanding
- Perform pre-trip inspections on refuse and recycling collection vehicles, as required, including fluids, lights, air brakes, battery terminal, tires, leaks, etc.; maintain daily log
- Deliver, set up, and monitor recycling stations for events
- Perform preventative maintenance on trash compactors at various locations on campus, including checking hydraulic lines, wiring, grease points, etc.
- Perform data collection as needed, e.g. for pilot programs, compost material weights, etc.
REQUIREMENTS: Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check.