Policy HR37 is now titled “Tuition Discount for Dependents.” The Penn State tuition discount process will be transparent to eligible employees and retirees. This means those taking advantage of the tuition discount benefit no longer need to “apply” for eligible spouses or dependent children for any semester or summer session.
- ACTION REQUIRED: Your dependents’ Social Security Number MUST be in Workday AND in their student account at accounts.psu.edu. Both steps are critical in order for the new process to flow smoothly.
Since there is no longer an “application” process needed, eligible employees and retirees do not need to wait for approval or denial emails. Just simply review your student’s tuition bill in LionPath under Account Details to verify that the tuition discount has been applied.
- Eligible employees wishing to use the tuition discount for themselves do not need to submit any forms. This will continue to be an automatic process through the Bursar's office to apply the discount
Eligible spouses and dependent children up to the age of 26 are eligible to receive a tuition discount of 75% of the Pennsylvania in-state tuition cost, as outlined in Policy HR37 Pennsylvania College of Technology tuition discount requests will continue to be made through the Workday Request for Dependent Tuition Discount Request online form. Pennsylvania College of Technology requests must be made once each academic year by choosing all applicable academic year semesters
Tuition Discount Process Update 06/29/2021
Verifying Dependent Social Security Number
- Login to Workday via the WorkLion portal.
- From your Workday home page, select the Benefits application.
- Within the View section, select "1095 SSN Verification Report."
- Verify your dependent SSN.
- If all information is accurate, no further action is needed.
- If you need to correct a dependent SSN, please refer to the below instructions.
* If you are a retiree, please contact HR Services to verify your dependent SSN.
Instructions to Correct Dependent Social Security Number
1. Login to Workday via the WorkLion portal.
2. From your Workday home page, select the Benefits application.
3. Within the Change section, select "Dependents."
4. Click on the "Edit" Button to the right of you dependent name.
5. From the Edit My Dependent Screen
a. Under Effective Date & Reason, click Edit (pencil icon) in upper right of this section. Use the current date already provided. Enter the Reason as "Edit Dependent Information." Click Save (check mark icon) in upper right to complete the section.
b. Under National IDs, click Edit (pencil icon) in upper right of this section. Make applicable SSN change. Click Save (check mark icon) in upper right to complete the section.
c. Once all updates are made, click the Submit button in the lower, left-hand corner of the web page.
6. Follow steps 3-5 for all dependents needing updated.
* If you are a retiree, please contact HR Services to update your dependent SSN.
Educational privileges are available to full-time faculty, staff, technical service employees, retirees, and those with Emeritus status, their spouse, and dependent children up to the age of 26. The tuition discount benefit is a 75% discount on the tuition charge and applies to World Campus, Penn State resident instruction at all campuses, and Pennsylvania College of Technology. Regular tuition will be assessed for each dependent. The amount of tuition discount would result in out-of-pocket costs for employees to be 25% of the effective in-state tuition rate (excluding other student fees). NOTE: Tuition discount for a spouse taking graduate level classes may be subject to taxes. Please contact the payroll office for tax information. See University Policy HR36 and Policy HR37 for additional information.
Please note that Postdoctoral fellows and scholars are not eligible for the tuition discount benefit.
If you have not already completed the dependent verification program within Workday, you will be required to do so in order to maintain the dependent tuition discount. For information on dependent verification, please review dependent verification article in the WorkLion HR portal or contact HR Services.
For more details about the dependent verification program please refer to Eligibility and Dependent Information. Dependents who do not successfully complete the verification will have the tuition discount removed from their accounts and will be responsible for the entire tuition amount.
Please contact HR Services if you have any questions regarding the tuition discount benefit. Your inquiry may be forwarded to Penn State Employee Benefits if additional information is needed. After your tuition discount request is approved, you will see the discount reflected on your next student account statement in LionPATH. Tuition discount will not be approved retro-actively to prior semesters.
Educational privileges DO NOT apply to courses offered through:
- The College of Medicine, Medical School Program, and Physician's Assistant Program, at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
- The Smeal College of Business Executive MBA Program.
- The Smeal College of Business Executive Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA)
- The Dickinson School of Law and Penn State Law.
- Summer camps or workshops operated by the University unless University credit is given and regular tuition is charged.
Employee Credit Limits
- Educational privileges are available for any semester or summer session in which classes begin on/or after the faculty or staff member's date of full-time regular employment.
- Employees are not eligible for educational privileges for any semester or summer session in which classes begin after the employee's final day of full time, regular employment status.
- Employees are subject to a 16-credit maximum per academic year (summer, fall, and spring) for the employee. Dependents do not have a credit limit.
A spouse, except one receiving educational assistance from the University, such as a graduate assistantship, is eligible for the tuition discount for any semester or summer session in which classes begin on or after the employee's date of full-time employment. There is no limitation on the number of credits that may be taken. All levels of degrees may be earned. Tuition discounts for the Graduate classification in LionPath is a taxable benefit for a spouse. For more information regarding taxation on the Graduate classification, please visit the controller's office FAQ.
Eligible dependent children are eligible for any semester or summer session in which classes begin on or after the employee's date of full-time employment. The tuition discount applies to undergraduate credits and Integrated Undergraduate Graduate (IUG) programs only until a Penn State bachelor's degree or IUG degree is attained. The discount does not apply toward Master's level classes or higher. Undergraduate classes for dependent children are not a taxable benefits.
Dependent of a Deceased Faculty or Staff Member
Eligible dependent children or a spouse of a full-time employee who becomes deceased as an active employee, are eligible for the tuition discount according to the years of service outlined below.
- Employee with 0-4 years of full-time, continuous service = 2 semesters
- Employee with 5-9 years of full-time, continuous service = 4 semesters
- Employee with 10 years or more of full-time, continuous service = 8 semesters
- Dependent must be enrolled within the number of years equal to the employee's years of service
- All other dependent eligibility rules apply
To initiate the tuition discount application in this circumstance, please complete this application or contact HR Services at 814-865-1473.