Leadership and Management
As the Talent Management team takes on re-designing Penn State’s Leadership and Management development programs, we have discontinued the Supervision Series level 1 and 2 certificate programs.
We are following these guiding principles in our redesign:
- Ability to participate, regardless of your geographical location
- Programs are developed and delivered to accommodate a variety of work schedules and learning styles
- Eliminate long waitlists so that programs are available when needed
- Program learning objectives align with our University’s strategy, values, and competencies
- Training activities tie to an individual’s professional profile in Workday
To receive updates related to these and other Talent Management initiatives, opt into our listserv or bookmark this webpage to check back for updates.
Supervisors can explore these learning options:
- An on-demand curriculum titled “Introduction to Supervision” is available. It contains a list of courses and books selected for supervisors.
- Instructor-led training courses are available this Spring and Fall on a variety of topics specific to supervision and leadership.
This program is for new supervisors – individuals that directly manage others and have the role of “Manager” assigned in Workday. All new supervisors with the employee type “Staff” effective January 1, 2021 are automatically assigned this training and receive an email notification with registration instructions.
Please note: New supervisors in “Academic” or “Administrator” roles will not be automatically assigned but can be added to the program roster by request.
Please contact your unit HR Strategic Partner to request access to this program.
The training consists of 10 core sessions that focus on foundational information for supervisors. In 2021, each session is offered 4 times throughout the year, and they are delivered as instructor-led Zoom events.
- Introduction to HR Policy (2.5 hours)
- Absence Management (2 hours)
- Budget & Finance (45 minutes)
- Introduction to Compensation & Classification (2.5 hours)
- Understanding Performance Reviews (2 hours)
- Overview of Recruiting (2 hours)
- Onboarding New Employees (2 hours)
- Safety in the Workplace (2hours)
- Ethics for New Supervisors (3 hours)
- Cultivating your Cultural Intelligence (1.5 hours)
- Introduction to Labor Relations *only for supervisors of unionized staff (2 hours)
If you have any questions, submit an inquiry and select “Talent Management/Workplace Learning” from the "I have a question about" drop down menu and a team member will respond.