Leadership and Management
The Penn State Emerging Leaders (PSEL), Excellence in Management (EIM), and Supervision Series I & II certificate programs are currently being redeveloped with the intention of gradually reintroducing leadership and management programming in 2022. In the meantime, there are many opportunities for professional development and growth listed below, as well as on our Instructor-Led Programs and On-Demand Learning pages.
To stay up to date with the development of our leadership and management programming and other Talent Management initiatives, please sign up for the HR-Talent Management Newsletter by simply sending an email to [email protected].
Supervisors can explore these learning options:
- An on-demand curriculum titled “Introduction to Supervision” is available. It contains a list of courses and books selected for supervisors.
- Instructor-led training courses are available this Spring and Fall on a variety of topics specific to supervision and leadership.
This program is for new supervisors – individuals that directly manage others and have the role of “Manager” assigned in Workday. All new supervisors with the employee type “Staff” effective January 1, 2021 are automatically assigned this training and receive an email notification with registration instructions.
Please note: New supervisors in “Academic” or “Administrator” roles will not be automatically assigned but can be added to the program roster by request.
Please contact your HR unit to request access to this program.
The training consists of 10 core sessions that focus on foundational information for supervisors. In 2021, each session is offered 4 times throughout the year, and they are delivered as instructor-led Zoom events.
- Introduction to HR Policy (2.5 hours)
- Absence Management (2 hours)
- Budget & Finance (45 minutes)
- Introduction to Compensation & Classification (2.5 hours)
- Understanding Performance Reviews (2 hours)
- Overview of Recruiting (2 hours)
- Onboarding New Employees (2 hours)
- Safety in the Workplace (2hours)
- Ethics for New Supervisors (3 hours)
- Cultivating your Cultural Intelligence (1.5 hours)
- Introduction to Labor Relations *only for supervisors of unionized staff (2 hours)
If you have any questions, submit an inquiry and select “Talent Management/Workplace Learning” from the "I have a question about" drop down menu and a team member will respond.