During the month prior to the start of the performance review cycle (June), in preparation for goal setting, consider these four items:
- What are the organizations priorities for the coming year and what are my responsibilities related to these priorities?
- Will my manager or unit leadership establish a cascade goal?
- Are there specific job responsibilities that would benefit from a targeted goal?
- Do I need a refresher related to the process and best practices for setting and managing goals?
If you are a manager, share your work priorities for the coming year and, if desired, enter a cascade goal in Workday.
REVIEW ORGANIZATIONAL PRIORITIES
Prior to the start of the Performance Review year, familiarize yourself with your unit and/or team priorities. Understanding your unit or team's strategy and objectives for the coming year can inform your goal development.
Cascade goals are organizational goals set at the organization or team level. Some units choose to establish a cascade goal at the senior leadership level and push that goal to all staff. Additionally, managers can create and cascade goals to their teams. These goals are administered in Workday and become visible to the employee once the Set Goals phase of the process is launched in Workday. It is possible to have more than one cascade goal.
REVIEW THE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES WORKSHEET (JRW)
While it is not required that the JRW be reviewed and updated to participate in the performance review process, it is a best practice to review the JRW yearly. Reviewing job responsibilities and ensuring they are up to date may inform goal setting. Access the JRW.
REVIEWING INFORMATION AND TRAINING RESOURCES
If you are new to the Penn State performance review process or need a refresher, there are a variety of Job Aids and Training opportunities.
- Participant Guide – Individual Contributors
- Participant Guide – Managers
- PowerPoint Setting Goals – Individual Contributors
- PowerPoint Setting Goals – Managers
The following resources are available: